Sunday, October 10, 2004

Gobble gobble gobble

Well, it's Thanksgiving eve. I haven't celebrated the occasion with my immediate family in almost five years, but I suppose there's more too it than being with the ones you love. I certainly enjoyed the warmth of the company and the taste of Aunt Rosie's turkey dinner in Montreal - so much so that I can still remember the flavour of the perfectly cooked meat and how those of us at the 'kids table' couldn't help but laugh at the fact that the 'kids' were now 19, 21 and....25?(sorry Oliver). Thanksgiving dinner at Viet-Thai Restaurant off the cobblestones on Prince Arthur in second year was certainly another memorable one...but Thai soup isn't a substitute for home-made stuffing.

Thanksgiving 2004? I had assumed that the High Commission or Canadian Club would be hosting a communal dinner for the Canadians in Dhaka, but it looks as though I would have needed a lucky wishbone to make that happen. For all I know, it could be going on right now, but you know how these things work - 'members only', and my little ol' Canadian passport doesn't qualify as ID. Darn diplomatic types...

I had might as well savour the memories though, cause an overcooked frozen chicken patty and tasteless boiled carrots certainly don't cut it. When combined with a persistent headache that's been dwelling in the back of my eye-sockets all day, this year's harvest dinner can be classified as a real feast for the senses...but not for the tastebuds.

In any event, here's what I'm thankful for:
  • Having such a large support network of friends and family;
  • The opportunity to write about what I do from the other side of the world;
  • This Corb Lund Band cd I'm listening to at the moment;
  • My first hot shower in 12 days (hot water heater installed in the apartment today);
  • Working with such a great group of people at the office;
  • The opportunity to use my energy, education and Canadian upbringing to help improve the lives of others;
  • The fact that I have a roof over my head, food in my pantry, books on my shelf...and a Canadian passport to get me back home.
Happy Thanksgiving from Dhaka.