Monday, January 17, 2005

Immigration: The Final Frontier

I received my first "marriage of convenience" proposal the other day, and still don't know what to think ('first' because as someone who's willing to live in developing countries like Bangladesh and who, more importantly, is a citizen from a country as desirable as Canada, I don't rule it out happening again in the future).

The desire to use marriage as a way to circumvent deep piles of barriers to immigrating or studying in Canada was not what surprised me, particularly since we were told it might happen during one of our post-departure training sessions (though this was mostly targeted at the females in the audience). Nor was it the fact that it came from someone I hardly knew. In fact, it was because it didn't come from a Bangladeshi. I'm not going to expand on the subject at risk of offending anyone who might happen to fall upon this entry, but I will say that there' s no better way to make a casual relationship deathly awkward by proposing "the uncharacteristic idea of a contract marriage" based on a "shared frame of mind and liberal view of life" because it "would make so many things easier for [her]". Needless to say, I cordially declined.

***
Speaking of immigration, our own (former) Minister's pizzagate scandal made it into The Independent's "This Odd World" section today in the form of a Reuters article with a headline reading "Minister quits over pizza scandal." Despite the implications, I don't think it will hurt Canada's status as Bangladesh's fifth largest aid donor...

***
In B-deshi Bollywood news, I had the good fortune of seeing a sneak preview of the infamous music video late this afternoon. Rather than turning a deep, mortification-laced red while watching myself sing, dance and drive the ox cart on television, (they mercifully cut out the more elaborate and therefore more seriously botched dance sequences), I couldn't help but smile and revel in the ingenuity of Channel i's crack editing team. Somehow they pulled it off, and I couldn't be more pleased.