When it Rains it Pours
Peace. The house is as quiet as it was the first day I moved in before my group arrived. Rather than being on their way across the country, this time they're spread out all over town - from the apartments of north Wells to the meadows of the south side. Each has been adopted by a generous billet family (though in this case 'family' often denotes single women) with whom they'll be staying for the next nine days. While they're re-discovering Wells from the perspective of each of their unique hosts, I'll be recharging back in Vancouver...after the Billy Barker Days parade tomorrow in Quesnel, that is.
As hard as it may be to believe, tomorrow morning's parade will indeed be my second this month. This time I'll be in my biking duds instead of those of a nineteenth century gentleman, and instead of a cane I'll be holding a mountain bike as I ride on the float belonging to the District of Wells.
All our fingers are crossed in perhaps a futile attempt to hold off the rain tomorrow. Rain has been the theme of summer 2005 in the interior, and it looks like Quesnel and Billy Barker Days revellers are just going to have to deal with yet another day of showers.
Regardless of the weather, I'll be stepping onto a Greyhound bus later that day for yet another long overnight journey on the road. Last time I took such a ride I was traveling from Melbourne to Canberra, Australia, but this time I'm glad that my destination is Vancouver. There I'll be relaxing, reflecting, planning my move to Ottawa and playing a few rounds of bocce ball until I fly back up to Quesnel next Saturday.
In the spirit of recent posts by Dr. E and JH I'll try to write a few words in the near future about John Raulston Saul's The Collapse of Globalism and Umberto Eco's The Island of the Day Before, but that will have to wait until another day.
As hard as it may be to believe, tomorrow morning's parade will indeed be my second this month. This time I'll be in my biking duds instead of those of a nineteenth century gentleman, and instead of a cane I'll be holding a mountain bike as I ride on the float belonging to the District of Wells.
All our fingers are crossed in perhaps a futile attempt to hold off the rain tomorrow. Rain has been the theme of summer 2005 in the interior, and it looks like Quesnel and Billy Barker Days revellers are just going to have to deal with yet another day of showers.
Regardless of the weather, I'll be stepping onto a Greyhound bus later that day for yet another long overnight journey on the road. Last time I took such a ride I was traveling from Melbourne to Canberra, Australia, but this time I'm glad that my destination is Vancouver. There I'll be relaxing, reflecting, planning my move to Ottawa and playing a few rounds of bocce ball until I fly back up to Quesnel next Saturday.
In the spirit of recent posts by Dr. E and JH I'll try to write a few words in the near future about John Raulston Saul's The Collapse of Globalism and Umberto Eco's The Island of the Day Before, but that will have to wait until another day.
<< Home