Now that I won't be training until 730pm tomorrow, (meaning I can sleep in), I finally have a chance to blogalittle. (Yes, it’s a new verb. Learn it, use it, love it.)
The past week and next three have been/will be pretty hectic. Come to think of it, it will be chaotic until April 22nd when I will have written my final exam at McGill.
The highlight of all this chaos certainly came this evening when I printed off the first draft of my undergraduate thesis, formally known as Poli 499: Honours Essay. Printed in the ever-so-classy Garamond font, it weighs in at a hefty 15, 800 words, although that includes a handful of quotes as well. While it still has to make its way through the academic gauntlet known as Dr.E, PD and CL, it feels as though I have finished the most difficult stage of a thesis-making process that began in May of last year. All I can do now is hope that it makes sense to people other than myself.
MCYFCPP is certainly coming along. As of right now we have twenty people registered, out of a maximum thirty spots, so I’m pretty pleased. We still have to find a moderator for our public security discussion group, and hopefully will secure a representative from the IRB in the next two days for the refugee group. The necessary money is slowly trickling in, and we’re exactly $337 away from reaching our goal. Hopefully Sociology will come through for us, as we’re still waiting in limbo for our funding request to make its way through the machinery within the Office of the Principal. I’m getting excited, but you know what they say: show me the money.
Another source of anxiety is certainly my summer situation. I want to row in Montreal, but I can’t make any commitments because I haven’t yet secured a desirable job in town. Hopefully that will be result of the flurry of applications I’m in the process of filling out, all of which are due either March 29 or April 21. Based on the variety of institutions I’m applying to, I could end up in: Victoria, BC, Germany and Switzerland (National Rowing Team’s Assistant Manager); Montreal or Ottawa (Pearson Peacekeeping Centre); Montreal (Research Assistant for a professor); Montreal (IRPP); Ottawa (DFAIT); Albania (UNAC); Western Europe (variety of DFAIT-funded internships). Unfortunately, I have no idea if even any of these will work out. We’ll just have to wait and see – this is called the ‘throw the paint on the wall and hope some of it sticks’ approach, by the way.
I think I’d like to be able to stay in Montreal for the duration of the summer, and at the very least until after graduation. My family will be coming out East in May and ideally I’ll be meeting up with them in New York, where we’ll be for four days before driving up to Lennoxville to visit my grandpa, then back to Montreal by the 29th until convocation at 10am on the 2nd of June. The hour of the event is of supreme importance, because my sister is graduating from UVic the next day at 3pm. This means the three of them will catch a flight back to Vancouver at 630pm on the 2nd, arrive in Vancouver around 10pm PST, sleep for a few hours, then make their way to the Island early the next morning (assuming the ferries won’t be on strike). It’s going to be a great two weeks, and I hope I’ll be able to enjoy it with them.
I've made a small update to my sidebar. Be sure to check out "1978 to 2003" under 'Vancouver: Live at Pericles.com'. Or, you could just click on this link. Prepare to be amazed.
Well, I have some more conference work to attend to, so I’d best be off. Tune in next time – same blog time, same blog channel.
The past week and next three have been/will be pretty hectic. Come to think of it, it will be chaotic until April 22nd when I will have written my final exam at McGill.
The highlight of all this chaos certainly came this evening when I printed off the first draft of my undergraduate thesis, formally known as Poli 499: Honours Essay. Printed in the ever-so-classy Garamond font, it weighs in at a hefty 15, 800 words, although that includes a handful of quotes as well. While it still has to make its way through the academic gauntlet known as Dr.E, PD and CL, it feels as though I have finished the most difficult stage of a thesis-making process that began in May of last year. All I can do now is hope that it makes sense to people other than myself.
MCYFCPP is certainly coming along. As of right now we have twenty people registered, out of a maximum thirty spots, so I’m pretty pleased. We still have to find a moderator for our public security discussion group, and hopefully will secure a representative from the IRB in the next two days for the refugee group. The necessary money is slowly trickling in, and we’re exactly $337 away from reaching our goal. Hopefully Sociology will come through for us, as we’re still waiting in limbo for our funding request to make its way through the machinery within the Office of the Principal. I’m getting excited, but you know what they say: show me the money.
Another source of anxiety is certainly my summer situation. I want to row in Montreal, but I can’t make any commitments because I haven’t yet secured a desirable job in town. Hopefully that will be result of the flurry of applications I’m in the process of filling out, all of which are due either March 29 or April 21. Based on the variety of institutions I’m applying to, I could end up in: Victoria, BC, Germany and Switzerland (National Rowing Team’s Assistant Manager); Montreal or Ottawa (Pearson Peacekeeping Centre); Montreal (Research Assistant for a professor); Montreal (IRPP); Ottawa (DFAIT); Albania (UNAC); Western Europe (variety of DFAIT-funded internships). Unfortunately, I have no idea if even any of these will work out. We’ll just have to wait and see – this is called the ‘throw the paint on the wall and hope some of it sticks’ approach, by the way.
I think I’d like to be able to stay in Montreal for the duration of the summer, and at the very least until after graduation. My family will be coming out East in May and ideally I’ll be meeting up with them in New York, where we’ll be for four days before driving up to Lennoxville to visit my grandpa, then back to Montreal by the 29th until convocation at 10am on the 2nd of June. The hour of the event is of supreme importance, because my sister is graduating from UVic the next day at 3pm. This means the three of them will catch a flight back to Vancouver at 630pm on the 2nd, arrive in Vancouver around 10pm PST, sleep for a few hours, then make their way to the Island early the next morning (assuming the ferries won’t be on strike). It’s going to be a great two weeks, and I hope I’ll be able to enjoy it with them.
I've made a small update to my sidebar. Be sure to check out "1978 to 2003" under 'Vancouver: Live at Pericles.com'. Or, you could just click on this link. Prepare to be amazed.
Well, I have some more conference work to attend to, so I’d best be off. Tune in next time – same blog time, same blog channel.
<< Home