Wednesday, February 25, 2004

I've been reading an excellent book over the past month, entitled 'My Early Life', by Winston Churchill, (upon the recommendation of Mr. PH). It's an excellent read, a window into the world of the famous British statesman, and a source of real insight into the motivations behind British colonialism in the nineteenth and early twentieth century. Besides its historical relevance, Churchill's insights also have real relevance today. Unfortunately I didn't note the pages where some of the most relevant quotes are found, many having to do with the evils of modern warfare. I do, however, have this one which I particularly enjoyed, and will post others as they come up:

"Thus the beaver builds his dam, and thus when his fishing is about to begin, comes the flood and sweeps his work and luck and fish away together. So he has to begin again."

So true, Winston, so true.