To celebrate my best friend Belinda's poor performance at the Conservative leadership debate, I thought it would be appropriate to finally respond to the allegations made by my genuinely good friend Mr. Ling concerning my original anti-Belinda tirade a few weeks back. Maybe all this writing over the past few days has me fixed in a prolific mood right now, so let's give it a shot.
Let's get first things first: I didn't necessarily say you needed political experience and education to be in government, as the relentless barrage of scandals over the last few days, weeks and years has certainly proved that an education (or at least the capacity to make effective use of one) is certainly not a requirement if you'd like to be a civil servant. Hell, even the BC Minister of Advanced Education only has a two year diploma from some small community college and is currently completing her BA at UNBC. What I did intend to get across, however, was the political experience is a necessary precondition to becoming the leader of a political party. One can hardly expect a novice MP to be able to deal with her constituents appropriately, let alone manage a national party. Belinda is also suffering from an even greater capability deficit, beyond her lack of experience, and that is her inability to speak Canada's second official language.
Mr. Ling argued: "I believe that a MONKEY can run for Government, for leadership, for anything one damn well pleases. It is up to the people to choose what they want. If they want a Monkey, then they'll get a monkey. If they believe in the qualfications of a flight instructor to run the province then... by golly-gee that's what they'll get - for good OR bad."
I have no problems with the fact that a monkey can and should run for government. I was simply advising the members of the Conservative Party (which I'm obviously not, I might add) not to elect said monkey to be their leader. As I've stated previously, such as with the Sheila Copps fiasco, we have a serious problem when certain candidates are maliciously excluded from the nomination process, from being able to run in the first.place. I would never argue that Belinda should have been barred from running for the leadership at all (for it would have made the leadership campaign considerably less amusing).
Mr. Ling also argued: What I understand is that the question is being asked how can you pick such a candidate? She's not good enough" Who are you to tell me that she's not?! THIS IS A DEMOCRACY! I can vote for her if I want to. BTW, Ms Stronach is backed up by Team Mulroney - a much respected PC PM.
I don't think anyone 'picked' Belinda to be a candidate in the race - it was her own personal choice, and all the power to her for choosing to do so. No, she's not good enough, and that's why the Conservative Party, and more importantly the state of democracy in Canada, will be in serious trouble if she somehow pulls it off. Of course you can vote for her if you want to, but I doubt the NDP would be pleased to see you've taken out a membership in the CP in order to do so. Lastly, any candidate backed up by the King of Corporate, Buy-Off-Brian, Patronage-Pete, Father of Ben, whatever you'd like to call him, has questionable credentials.
Mr. Ling: Have you ever considered WHY Ms Stronach is getting so much attention? Is it maybe because they are tired of the stupid Old Boy politics!? Is it maybe because they believe she better represents their wishes? Maybe it's because she understands what it's like to be a single-mom, to be divorced young, to be pulled in 2 directions, struggling with the balance between career and family, struggling with being a modern woman?! Just maybe eh? Do you think Harper knows what this is like!? Tony Clemente? I don't think so....
Unfortunately, the reason why Ms. Stronach has been getting so much attention is because of her novice status, her representation as the 'token woman candidate' in a party dominated by men, and as a few friends of argued, for her MILF qualities. She said today how she thinks Canadians are sick and tired of same political game, but I doubt she represents something new when her primary supporter is Mr. Mulroney. Now, the single-mom gig is a whole different story. In a way I'm sure she understands what it's like to be a single mom, simply because she is one. However, there's one large difference. The millions of dollars between herself and the average income of single moms in this country, the worst off socio-economic group in study after study. Can she relate to trying to take advantage of 'welfare to work' programs, only to realize she doesn't have the time to fulfill the minimum hours of work requirement because she has to look after her kid(s)? Can she relate to having to eat poorly as a result of not having the funds to buy enough fresh fruit and vegetables every week? Can she relate to making sure careless ex-husbands pay child support every month so that her kids can have the opportunity to attend post-secondary education? I'm sure every single mother out there has a Bill Clinton up their sleeve like Belinda does...
In the end, Belinda's knees didn't give out during the debate. Let's just say she's lucky her translator didn't either.
Let's get first things first: I didn't necessarily say you needed political experience and education to be in government, as the relentless barrage of scandals over the last few days, weeks and years has certainly proved that an education (or at least the capacity to make effective use of one) is certainly not a requirement if you'd like to be a civil servant. Hell, even the BC Minister of Advanced Education only has a two year diploma from some small community college and is currently completing her BA at UNBC. What I did intend to get across, however, was the political experience is a necessary precondition to becoming the leader of a political party. One can hardly expect a novice MP to be able to deal with her constituents appropriately, let alone manage a national party. Belinda is also suffering from an even greater capability deficit, beyond her lack of experience, and that is her inability to speak Canada's second official language.
Mr. Ling argued: "I believe that a MONKEY can run for Government, for leadership, for anything one damn well pleases. It is up to the people to choose what they want. If they want a Monkey, then they'll get a monkey. If they believe in the qualfications of a flight instructor to run the province then... by golly-gee that's what they'll get - for good OR bad."
I have no problems with the fact that a monkey can and should run for government. I was simply advising the members of the Conservative Party (which I'm obviously not, I might add) not to elect said monkey to be their leader. As I've stated previously, such as with the Sheila Copps fiasco, we have a serious problem when certain candidates are maliciously excluded from the nomination process, from being able to run in the first.place. I would never argue that Belinda should have been barred from running for the leadership at all (for it would have made the leadership campaign considerably less amusing).
Mr. Ling also argued: What I understand is that the question is being asked how can you pick such a candidate? She's not good enough" Who are you to tell me that she's not?! THIS IS A DEMOCRACY! I can vote for her if I want to. BTW, Ms Stronach is backed up by Team Mulroney - a much respected PC PM.
I don't think anyone 'picked' Belinda to be a candidate in the race - it was her own personal choice, and all the power to her for choosing to do so. No, she's not good enough, and that's why the Conservative Party, and more importantly the state of democracy in Canada, will be in serious trouble if she somehow pulls it off. Of course you can vote for her if you want to, but I doubt the NDP would be pleased to see you've taken out a membership in the CP in order to do so. Lastly, any candidate backed up by the King of Corporate, Buy-Off-Brian, Patronage-Pete, Father of Ben, whatever you'd like to call him, has questionable credentials.
Mr. Ling: Have you ever considered WHY Ms Stronach is getting so much attention? Is it maybe because they are tired of the stupid Old Boy politics!? Is it maybe because they believe she better represents their wishes? Maybe it's because she understands what it's like to be a single-mom, to be divorced young, to be pulled in 2 directions, struggling with the balance between career and family, struggling with being a modern woman?! Just maybe eh? Do you think Harper knows what this is like!? Tony Clemente? I don't think so....
Unfortunately, the reason why Ms. Stronach has been getting so much attention is because of her novice status, her representation as the 'token woman candidate' in a party dominated by men, and as a few friends of argued, for her MILF qualities. She said today how she thinks Canadians are sick and tired of same political game, but I doubt she represents something new when her primary supporter is Mr. Mulroney. Now, the single-mom gig is a whole different story. In a way I'm sure she understands what it's like to be a single mom, simply because she is one. However, there's one large difference. The millions of dollars between herself and the average income of single moms in this country, the worst off socio-economic group in study after study. Can she relate to trying to take advantage of 'welfare to work' programs, only to realize she doesn't have the time to fulfill the minimum hours of work requirement because she has to look after her kid(s)? Can she relate to having to eat poorly as a result of not having the funds to buy enough fresh fruit and vegetables every week? Can she relate to making sure careless ex-husbands pay child support every month so that her kids can have the opportunity to attend post-secondary education? I'm sure every single mother out there has a Bill Clinton up their sleeve like Belinda does...
In the end, Belinda's knees didn't give out during the debate. Let's just say she's lucky her translator didn't either.
<< Home