Saturday, January 31, 2004

Under pressure from the Good Dr. and being too tired to commit myself to anything academic at the moment, I will blog in the interest of productivity and to satiate the demands of Ms. E and Ms. Pasharazzi.

Martin and I have come to the conclusion that Beach Party III, aka "The Candlelight Luau" was our most successful yet. Based on sheer numbers of people in attendance, (indicated by the masses of shoes in our front entrance and wall to wall people in our kitchen and den), and the way in which we turned a piss-poor situation (brown-out) into one which ended up being better than ever. Many thanks go out to the restauranteurs downstairs who called the electrician, to the tea lights which created an impeccable atmosphere, and to our electric circuit board for now blowing up...well, aside from those two bright white flashes of light...and of course to all those who showed up with hawaiian shirts, blenders and pina coladas in hand.

I think the IRSAM crowd has rounded the corner in terms of this 'carpe' issue, for what was previously referred to as 'scandalous' behaviour has come to be referred to as commendable. The actions undertaken by some of us at parties like this are either the result of long supressed feelings for another, too much alcohol, little alcohol and significant physical exhaustion, or simply for honouring what should now be entrenched in IRSAM's constitution, the concept of "Carpe Diem". Whatever the reason, it all tends to work out, and I think we're all better off because of it.

I'm sure Pasharazzi will be posting the pictures soon enough. For now, my roommates and I are left with about 20 cases of empties, some significant mopping up, a weak electrical grid and excellent memories from what was our third, and final, beach party extravangza. We pass the torch to anyone willing to take up the task; however, whomever choses to do so must keep in mind that electricity comes in many forms, and that blackouts are only temporary. Viva la fiesta.