Sunday, January 25, 2004

I've been neglecting my blog for almost ten days, and for this I sincerely apologize - especially to my poor sister sitting idle (well, knitting and potting (if that's a verb)) at the University of Victoria...

These ten days have been occupied by meetings of one sort or another, McMUN training and of course McMUN itself. This fine conference came to an end this afternoon, and it was nothing less than a resounding success. The spirit of the NAM Ministerial Summit, for which I was Chair, was missing in action for most of the first two days, however after giving said Ministers a brief lecture in an attempt to refocus their efforts and build the consensus for which the Non-Aligned Movement is known, they found some new energy and turned the debate around. I'm pleased to report that we had a serious morning session of deliberations, ending in a resolution addressing the Palestinian question (despite this having already been done by the real NAM, showing 100% support for the Palestinians), which passed with 43 for, 2 abstentions and none against. If that's not consensus and solidarity, someone tell me what is. The Outstanding Delegate award went out to the delegate representing North Korea (the DPRK for those in the know), very impressive for a first-time delegate.

I'm feeling the same level of exhaustion and semi-consciousness that most McMunners are experiencing right now, one which only surfaces after closing ceremonies have been wrapped up and people are lingering around the ballroom not really wanting to leave. Four hours' sleep last night and about the same the night before is not so good for the head. A nap and a good night's sleep will right all that is now askew. Sleep isn't the only thing that I lost this weekend...yes, that would be my budgetary conscienciousness. I doubt it's financial crisis with long-term implications, but this weekend was one of rather excessive spending - and all on food..and booze. Oh well. Once a year can't hurt, and it's for a good cause. Yeah rationalization.

Nothing left to say at the moment. I'd better take a nap before I start seeing things. The front window of the apartment upstairs seems to have been smashed overnight - shards of glass everywhere, a piece of cardboard taped up to replace it, and a -30 windchill. Sucks to be them. Karma? Even though I'm not a believer in such a thing, it's a good explanation. THis is what happens when you lack any concern for your neighbours downstairs and continue to play foosball and loud music until 6am (Friday night) and 4am (Saturday night), not to mention every other night of the week until midnight or later.

Sleep is calling.