Sunday, April 25, 2004

In the News...

The McGill-Queen's Boat Race at the Lachine Rowing Club today didn't go so well, but it certainly produced some good stories. Besides the fact that it was only one degree out and windy, we had never rowed in a four before (and only had to because Queen's couldn't put together enough guys for an eight, so they lent us two fours). Long story short, the boat in which I was stroke (for the first time) took on so much water by the time we were only a kilometer up to the start of the race that we had to turn around, dock and bail out the water before getting back out (while hypothermic because all the waves that went into our boat hit us first) for the 1.5k followed by the 500m dash. In both races at least one of our seats came out (mine did ten seconds into the 500m - meaning I had to row arms-only for the rest of it), but we did end up finishing without sinking. Needless to say, if we had had even one practice in the four before the race, we could have smoked them, as we would have in our eight. In the end, Queen's ended up taking back the "Challenge Cup" as they won all of the Varsity men's and women's races as well as ours (Novice men), but our Novice Women did manage to continue their undefeated streak by winning both their races.

On the way home, while waiting at the Berri-Uqam metro, I was briefly interviewed by a reporter from CFCF News regarding the man who was hit by a metro train this morning at the very same station. The reporter and her camera man were there filming a story, during which a security guard approached me to let me know that I shouldn's step over the orange dots because it's apparently a $100 fine and the guy who got hit may die this evening. The reporter obviously saw me being spoken to, so quickly came up afterwards to ask "Why were you standing over the line", to which I replied "because I was looking for the train coming down the tunnel [which wasn't even visible at this point]." Anyways, if you happen to read this before 6pm, or maybe 11pm, check out CFCF News at 6pm, 7pm or 11pm and you may see me there!

It's time to put the last finishing touches on my thesis which I'm handing in tomorrow before 4pm (it's going to be close), before heading off to our post-regatta party for more rowing fun.

What a day.