Wednesday, April 07, 2004

That's all she wrote

Well, until grad school, that is...

I realized, to my surprise, that today I would attend the last formal classes of my undergraduate career at McGill. I was caught thinking that Tuesday the 13th would be the last, but no class on Thursday, Good Friday and no class on Tuesday proved me wrong. Not that I'm complaining.

The remaining work won't be finished until the 26th, as I have two papers, two exams, several internship applications and my thesis due by then.

Inspiration to blog on the end of undergrad before I went to do my laundry (which I'm waiting for to dry at the moment) has somewhat fizzled (I hate laundry in so many ways) but I'm sure I'll be able to come up with something when the end has come in just over two weeks. Maybe it's because I had the chance to put this not-unsubstantial accomplishment into perspective. The 26 minute wash cycle gave me the opportunity to pick up Axworthy's Navigating a New World , which I've been reading rather gradually since Christmas. One thought that came to mind is that this represents not so much an end, but more significantly a beginning, giving us the tools - or at least introducing us to them - we can use to pursue our goals in the future. Where am I going with this?

Anyways, beyond the stress of exams and papers, there are of course issues of greater concern to the global community - there's the connection to Axworthy I was looking for! Iraq is descending into chaos, while Bush still has that frightening school-boy grin on his face; and anti-semetic attacks are taking place on Canadian soil. It's hard to imagine how either of these crises can be solved in the near future. Despite the attack on the Jewish elementary school being an isolated incident, I still believe it represents a crisis for it is an indication that somehow our education system, social services and generally welcoming and diverse culture has failed to prevent such severe, discriminatory, baseless, and frightening behaviour from occuring in the first place. The thought that someone drew a causal connection between Israeli foreign policy and the beliefs of Jewish people in general in order to somehow justify their actions only makes things worse. People are free to criticize governments as much as they wish, as long as they don't resort to violence and hatred against the people those governments are supposed to represent. For some reason, these individuals failed to make that distinction, but it could also be argued that many of us make the same connection (while expressing it with words rather than violence) when we refer to our neighbours to the south.

My laundry is just about ready, and my stomach (and mind) are telling me I should find something to eat, so that'll be all for now.

Extra points to anyone who can point out any split infinitives.