Monday, March 15, 2004

MLA in action

I forgot to note the email that brightened my day. Two weeks ago I sent an angry email off to a certain legislative internship program in my home province to air my grievances over being ineliglible to even apply since I won't be graduating from a university or other post-secondary institution from said province. Remembering that I had an MLA, however, I decided to cc a copy of the email to his office to see if anything would happen.

Two weeks had passed and I almost forgot about the letter entirely...until today! I received a brief, two-line note directly above my original email saying thanks for my letter, and telling me that he had met with the legislative internship advisory committee this weekend (that may not be the exact name because I somehow, sadly, deleted the email from my non-retrievable webmail account) and presented them the email, and they discussed it thoroughly. He'll be getting back to me in a couple weeks with more information. I must say I'm both surprised and pleased to see my concerns being represented so directly by my MLA, whom I've never met, let alone seen in public.

It will be interesting to see what happens in a couple weeks, but for now my faith in representative government (at the provincial level) has been restored - can't say the same thing at the federal level. My MP still hasn't updated his logo from Alliance to Conservative, and is still whining and complaining about SSHRC grants for no good reason. If you were to do a brief content analysis of the research papers he's sited as undeserving of federal money through SSHRC grants, it won't take long to notice that they all have something to do with either immigrants, women, or visible minorities. Gee...I'm shocked. Check out his reply to critics like myself. Apparently grants are only beneficial if each and every tax payer can benefit directly from each and every one of them...