Reciprocity, eh?
I've finally found the opportunity to leave the country on another solo backpacking excursion in a relatively far-flung local where I don't speak the language. This time it will be South America, where I will follow a route over land from Santiago, Chile, through Argentina, and then on to Sao Paulo, Brazil, meeting up with at least two friends at both ends of the journey. I leave May 3rd and return June 10th, just prior to NPSIA's graduation ceremony and the start of a new job.
While I'm looking forward to all that the trip will entail, my initial preparations have re-introduced me to one of the least appetizing aspects of international travel: the dreaded tourist visa.
The last time I went through this process I had the pleasure of exploring Bangkok, Thailand for four days while waiting for my visas for Laos and Viet Nam to be processed. The wait was therefore pleasurable (aside from the bug I was carrying with me from the 'Desh), and they were relatively inexpensive documents to acquire.
This time around, however - at least when it comes to cost - no such luck. Though the Argentinians are kind, tango-loving folk who don't charge Canadian citizens money to gain the right to enter their country, their neighbours to the east and west are a different kettle of fish...or paella, if you will. But it's not entirely their fault.
Apparently Canada has 'reciprocal' visa arrangements with certain countries through which nationals of each partner to the arrangement (whether official or simply out of spite) are effectively charged an arm and a leg and asked to jump through hoops (you can see how that might be difficult...) in order to enter each others' country.
The Chileans cuts right to the chase: $132 US upon arrival. Brazil, however, asks kindly for $72 (certified check or money order only, please...), a candid photo, and a form that tells them everything from your grandmother's favourite pass-times to whether you like your drinks shaken or stirred.
While "reciprocity" might mean 'equal treatment,' it can also mean mutual respect and accommodation. So why don't we share a couple glasses of sangria, lower those nasty barriers to budget-minded travelers, encourage greater understanding between our citizens, and all just get along?
While I'm looking forward to all that the trip will entail, my initial preparations have re-introduced me to one of the least appetizing aspects of international travel: the dreaded tourist visa.
The last time I went through this process I had the pleasure of exploring Bangkok, Thailand for four days while waiting for my visas for Laos and Viet Nam to be processed. The wait was therefore pleasurable (aside from the bug I was carrying with me from the 'Desh), and they were relatively inexpensive documents to acquire.
This time around, however - at least when it comes to cost - no such luck. Though the Argentinians are kind, tango-loving folk who don't charge Canadian citizens money to gain the right to enter their country, their neighbours to the east and west are a different kettle of fish...or paella, if you will. But it's not entirely their fault.
Apparently Canada has 'reciprocal' visa arrangements with certain countries through which nationals of each partner to the arrangement (whether official or simply out of spite) are effectively charged an arm and a leg and asked to jump through hoops (you can see how that might be difficult...) in order to enter each others' country.
The Chileans cuts right to the chase: $132 US upon arrival. Brazil, however, asks kindly for $72 (certified check or money order only, please...), a candid photo, and a form that tells them everything from your grandmother's favourite pass-times to whether you like your drinks shaken or stirred.
While "reciprocity" might mean 'equal treatment,' it can also mean mutual respect and accommodation. So why don't we share a couple glasses of sangria, lower those nasty barriers to budget-minded travelers, encourage greater understanding between our citizens, and all just get along?
<< Home