Muey Bien in Argentina
I hitched the early bus from Valparaiso yesterday morning, as predicted, and after an exhilarating trip through the Andes - crossing into Argentina at the high alpine settlement of Los Libertadores, I made it to Mendoza, Argentina. Things are good.
Today included wandering aimlessly around Mendoza's own Stanley Park, or to those non-Vancouverites, Central Park, and making plans for the next couple of days. Tomorrow I'll be joining a pre-arranged hiking trip up Cerro Arendes, topping out at approximately 5600 meters above sea level, which should take up the whole day. Friday I will be touring three local wineries and an olive oil producer, also through an excursion arranged through my excellent hostel, Winka's. Not sure about this weekend, but I'll probably move on to Cordoba, half way between Mendoza and Buenos Aires, or head straight to the latter (15 hrs by bus).
Out-takes have taken a significant nose dive since leaving Chile. Those of the past 24 hrs included deciding to stay, on the recommendation of a friend, at the Point Break Hostel here in Mendoza, which as it turns out is essentially a student bar with a few cramped rooms upstairs. They also make their backpacker residents wear pink bracelets, ala Edgefest, to separate them from the rest of the bar patrons. The silver lining to this dark cloud of an auberge was my private room and the fact that the bar was closed last night. After a hearty breakfast of Tang with a bun, I was out of there. The only other out-take of note was discovering, upon return to my hostel after a day of wandering around town a few minutes ago, that there is only one key to my six-bed room, and I had it. Whoops.
Asta pronto!
**Correction: I ended up hiking San Bernardino Mountain, which tops out a much more moderate 3300 meters above sea level. Having started the trek at about 2000 meters, however, the total elevation gain was comparable to hiking Grouse mountain from the base to the peak.
Today included wandering aimlessly around Mendoza's own Stanley Park, or to those non-Vancouverites, Central Park, and making plans for the next couple of days. Tomorrow I'll be joining a pre-arranged hiking trip up Cerro Arendes, topping out at approximately 5600 meters above sea level, which should take up the whole day. Friday I will be touring three local wineries and an olive oil producer, also through an excursion arranged through my excellent hostel, Winka's. Not sure about this weekend, but I'll probably move on to Cordoba, half way between Mendoza and Buenos Aires, or head straight to the latter (15 hrs by bus).
Out-takes have taken a significant nose dive since leaving Chile. Those of the past 24 hrs included deciding to stay, on the recommendation of a friend, at the Point Break Hostel here in Mendoza, which as it turns out is essentially a student bar with a few cramped rooms upstairs. They also make their backpacker residents wear pink bracelets, ala Edgefest, to separate them from the rest of the bar patrons. The silver lining to this dark cloud of an auberge was my private room and the fact that the bar was closed last night. After a hearty breakfast of Tang with a bun, I was out of there. The only other out-take of note was discovering, upon return to my hostel after a day of wandering around town a few minutes ago, that there is only one key to my six-bed room, and I had it. Whoops.
Asta pronto!
**Correction: I ended up hiking San Bernardino Mountain, which tops out a much more moderate 3300 meters above sea level. Having started the trek at about 2000 meters, however, the total elevation gain was comparable to hiking Grouse mountain from the base to the peak.
<< Home