Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Old Map Trick

I was the target of an attempted pickpocketing yesterday afternoon in downtown Buenos Aires. After feeling a nudge on my back while waiting to cross the street with numerous other people, I turned to find a decently-dressed, younger looking man and another that could have been his father - both darker in complexion, potentially Peruvian - apologize while looking at his map of the city. A few seconds later the light had changed and we began to walk, with the younger man out in front a few steps.

It then occured to me that I should check my backpack just in case, and sure enough the zipper of my blue backpack's middle pocket was open, but its contents - my guidebook, notebook and swiss army knife - were still there. My most valuable possessions - camera and wallet - were attached to my belt (and covered by my jacket), and stored inside my inner jacket pocket, respectively. If they hadn't been, let's just say I wouldn't be very happy at this point.

Knowing that everything was still there and not entirely sure that I had been the victim of an attempted robbery, I followed the younger man for a block or two, while the older one split off elsewhere. They were both quite harmless looking characters, but I still knew not to get to close if I could avoid it. Somehow I lost the younger man in the crowd, while the older one reappeared at random intervals, giving me the impression that he knew I had other things on me and that he might be inclined to try again. We made eye contact from across the street, at which point it looked like he realized I was on to him and it was best not to try me a second time, and he walked casually off into the crowd. By this point I caught sight of the younger one going in the opposite direction, potentially also deterred by the fact that I would be too difficult a target at this point and that it was worth going elsewhere.

I didn't want to believe what had just happened at first, but after this little bit of private investigation (from a distance, Mom...), it was quite clear what had occured. After talking to others at my hostel, a nice place up in Old Palermo called Hostel Soho, it became clear that I definitely wasn't the first foreigner on whom this map trick was attempted. It goes like this: the pickpocketer brings the map up high enough to cover the target's bag from behind while amongst a crowd waiting to cross the street, disguising the fact that they are somehow opening up the zipper directly underneath the fully extended map.

In a matter of seconds, any object within reach is in their hands, and when the light turns green they quickly blend into the crowd without the victim having a clue that anything had happened. Variations of the trick include one of the two-person team asking for directions or otherwise providing a distraction; in my case the father figure was the legitimating character, making me think for the necessary few seconds that they were simply a father and son visiting a new city. Of course, once you have time to put the pieces together (they weren't carrying backpacks, cameras or jackets, only the map), it's usually too late.

Fortunately for me, this story has a happy ending. I've also emerged somewhat more streetwise than 24 hours ago and will soon be picking up a mini lock to prevent such things from happening again (on top of carrying my pack on my chest in any crowded situation).

Knock on wood for me, y asta luego.