Friday, November 21, 2003

New discovery: strange Moroccan concept cafe on McTavish south of Sherbrooke, (although I don't think it's actually McTavish street = one east of Peel). The place is called Evasion Tours - yes, tours - because it's actually a cafe/travel agency. After discussing the state of my dry carrot cake with Nour-Eddine Chiadmi (Directeur General), he brought it to my attention that they were also a travel agency offering tours to Morocco and Tunisia. The idea is to draw people in from the street with the undeniable appeal of Morrocan cuisine ( or maybe a coffee and a muffin for less than 2$), and then introduce them to the wide variety of tours available to north Africa while they're enjoying their delectable dinners...or lunch...or breakfast...

I told him about IRSAM's trip to Morocco this August, but he seemed to think I meant that we were going again next August. All I said was that they had an 'interesting time'. To compensate for my dry carrot cake he gave me a crescent shaped Moroccan cookie of some kind which was actually quite good.

Imagine your confusion after stepping out of the cafe/travel agency with a ticket to go trekking in Morocco for two weeks when you were only intending to satisfy your desire for a muffin and a coffee. Talk about up-selling!

By the way, for those who were planning on hitting up Gert's this evening to check your coats for the good of the MURC, our spot has been postponed until next Thursday.