Friday, June 04, 2004

Flight plans

Disclaimer to Soapbox users: you've probably already read this.

Good news on the ticket purchasing front - all thanks to a certain campus-based travel company we'll call TC, and the fact that I still qualify for an ISIC card. Instead of the astronomically high-priced tickets advertised by Flight Centre ranging from $4000-$8000, I discovered that purchasing two one-way tickets through TC would be the most cost-effective option.

Early August departure: Montreal- Paris, Frankfurt, or London - Dubai - Dhaka (with a free layover in either Europe or Dubai for as many days as I like, probably in Dubai) comes to $1220.88 including tax. Montreal to Europe on Air Canada, Dubai to Dhaka on Emirate Air.

Late February/March return: I have a few options. Since I want to make the most of my time in South-East Asia and the Pacific, I had might as well make my way to one of a few cities from which I will fly home to Vancouver. Some options include:

- Hanoi: rate unavailable
- Beijing: $1020 + tax, British Airways
- Bangkok: " "
- New Delhi: $1248 + tax (through Dubai and London), Emirate Air.
- Sydney: $899 (holy cow! Through Fiji and Honolulu), Fiji Air.

Maybe I will be able to put a few dollars away in the end. Huzzah!