Monday, August 16, 2004

Good times

I'm really enjoying life back in North Vancouver. Most of my time is spent with my best friends from childhood; relaxing, golfing (pitch and putt), playing bocce, driving, cliff jumping and general chillin'.

It's pretty darn hot here (for Vancouver standards) so Thursday afternoon was spent entertaining the tourists in Lynn Canyon Park as we made our way down the canyon leaping off the 20-40 foot cliffs and watefalls into the crystal clear water below. It's perfectly safe...as long as you know how to land, where to land and, most importantly, your own limits. For example, I was the third of the four of us to jump off this rather tame 25 footer. The idea is to land to the right of the waterfall but to the left of the rocky shore. I didn't hear my friend tell me that I should land where he would before he jumped, so it wasn't until I was in the air and descending rather quickly that I realized I was jumping into the shallow part of the pool below. Luckily I had my sandals on and knew what to do if the landing is shallow - point your feet forward and let the water push them up as soon as they are submerged. This way you don't pencil dive deep compress your spine...word to the wise. I bumped the ground but I was perfectly fine...aside from giving my buddy up above a bit of a heart attack. As I said to a close friend of mine, half the adrenaline surging through my veins was from the rush of one jump after another, while the balance was from actually being in the environment we were in. Towering evergreens rise above the smooth canyon walls and are reflected in the glassy pools below. It's a bit cold but nothing unbearable, especially on a swelting sunny day. The whole experience takes your breath away.

Friday night a bunch of us caught a live show at the Railway Club in downtown Vancouver. I'm no expert concering the live music scene in Vancouver, but from what I know it's not all that great, especially when compared to Montreal or Halifax. If anyone else attending The Corb Lund Band that night had thought the same thing before hand, there's no way they could have walked out with the same opinion. Great show, and I don't (well...didn't) even like country! Check them out if they're in your city. Boot stompin', finger twitchin' (it's an Alberta thing), witty, energetic and perhaps nostalgic pseudo-country. I picked up their CD Five Dollar Bill today. I'm not one to buy CDs either, so this is a good sign. For your Montrealers (or quasi-Montrealers like myself), they even mention "boulevard St. Laurent" in their tune Short Native Grasses (Prairies of Alberta). On an even more exciting note, I finally acquired my very own digital camera this afternoon. It's nothing short of awesome, so I have no regrets making it my combined birthday and christmas presents from my parents. I got the black one. Look forward to some vivid pictures being posted in the near future.

As far as Bangladesh goes, I still have neither a place to stay nor a visa. I'd better get on that...Oh, and congrats to North Van's own Blythe Hartley for securing Canada's first medal of the Olympic Games in Athens in the women's synchro diving. A big thumbs down to the CBC, however, for giving blanket ambiguous coverage to the Games so far. Not only do we have to watch two and a half minutes of commercials every ten minutes, but they get no more precise then tellling you the package of events that they'll be covering over large blocks of time, ie. 6pm to 11pm: rowing, weightlifting, swimming, diving, cycling, gymanstics. It's almost as bad as those furniture delivery or utilities people who say "we'll be there between 8am and 5pm". Jeez.