Situation update
Apparently the countrythatshallnotbenamed has really been cutting down on entry privileges for foreigners working with human rights organizations in recent years. People applying for visas and who tick 'NGO Works' as their reason for visiting are therefore classified as 'special cases' and need approval from higher authorities inside the government to get accepted. Fortunately for us, however, the guy in charge at the High Commission in Ottawa recognized the name of BIHR's director and said that we'll now be granted "NGO visas" for six months after he gets the NGO Board in Bangladesh to fax the HC a letter attesting to our legitimacy. If all goes well they'll be FedExing my visa to me on Monday. This seems to be the result of a few frantic phone calls between Montreal, Halifax, Ottawa, Vancouver and Dhaka in order to prove there was no reason why we shouldn't be given a visa, so it looks as though the pressure we put on them has paid off. Well, maybe that's a bit presumptuous; in fact, it's all about who knows whom.
I'm chomping at the bit to get on the plane and begin my South Asian adventure. While Vancouver's been great and well needed, it's been two and a half months since I found out I was going to Bangladesh and the anticipation is reaching its breaking point. I've bought my water filter, my camera and everything else that may or may not be necessary, and I've been going through quite a few boxes of clothes and memorabilia from the past dozen years. I'm finding it much easier to pitch or give away many things that I was attached to a few years ago. It's probably because of the fact that everything's in transition right now and after moving three times in five months I'm realizing how much trouble it is to haul around crap that you don't really need. Putting things in the give-away box (Salvation Army, etc), is even more gratifying since I know that those pants, that sweater or that t-shirt will be much more useful on the back of someone who needs it rather resting idle on my shelf or tucked away in a box. Old glasses are an even better thing to give away; the CNIB (Canadian National Institute for the Blind) collects used glasses and distributes them to people in underdeveloped countries who can't afford glasses of their own or, more importantly, don't even have access to an optometrist.
Aside from the necessities I'll therefore be packing as light as possible. I don't think I'll be able to pull off putting everything in my hiking backpack but I'll give it a try. Being able to leave my winter clothing behind will certainly be a help, but I suspect the handful of books I'll be bringing with me will make up the extra weight.
All you can eat sushi on Sunday. Sweet.
I'm chomping at the bit to get on the plane and begin my South Asian adventure. While Vancouver's been great and well needed, it's been two and a half months since I found out I was going to Bangladesh and the anticipation is reaching its breaking point. I've bought my water filter, my camera and everything else that may or may not be necessary, and I've been going through quite a few boxes of clothes and memorabilia from the past dozen years. I'm finding it much easier to pitch or give away many things that I was attached to a few years ago. It's probably because of the fact that everything's in transition right now and after moving three times in five months I'm realizing how much trouble it is to haul around crap that you don't really need. Putting things in the give-away box (Salvation Army, etc), is even more gratifying since I know that those pants, that sweater or that t-shirt will be much more useful on the back of someone who needs it rather resting idle on my shelf or tucked away in a box. Old glasses are an even better thing to give away; the CNIB (Canadian National Institute for the Blind) collects used glasses and distributes them to people in underdeveloped countries who can't afford glasses of their own or, more importantly, don't even have access to an optometrist.
Aside from the necessities I'll therefore be packing as light as possible. I don't think I'll be able to pull off putting everything in my hiking backpack but I'll give it a try. Being able to leave my winter clothing behind will certainly be a help, but I suspect the handful of books I'll be bringing with me will make up the extra weight.
All you can eat sushi on Sunday. Sweet.
<< Home