Monday, September 06, 2004

Bangladesh in Technicolour

Since today is a national holiday (forgive me for not knowing which one), I've had plenty of one-on-one time with the computer at the office - the only one with an internet connection, apparently. I was able to find a way to compress my photos down to a manageable size through Picasa and then post them to a photo account ala B. Baker through Yahoo. That's a relief. Check them out here or at the new link under 'Bangladesh' on my sidebar.

I've decided to go to one of the many Chinese restaurants in town to escape from the growing monotony of Bengali cuisine. I'm thankful for all the work they're putting into each of my meals (eaten mostly on my own while Faruz or the cooks watch in awe as I use a fork and knife instead of my hands), and extra thankful for their cost (about 50 cents a shot), but I need some variation. I have a feeling I'll be able to eat with my hands in time but right now I'm more comfortable with my oh-so-Western utensils.

On a similar note, I need exercise. Aside from the National Tennis Club there are no athletic facilities nearby. I would use the facilities at the Canadian Club, especially the erg, every morning if I lived in Gulshan, but the thought of commuting up there by CMG every day is rather frightening. I would probaby end up less healthy at the end of each return journey than I would have been had I stayed here in Bijoynagar given the amount of untreated exhaust and other such fumes one is forced to breath in while sitting in traffic. I need to run, swim, ride or row. All I can do now is a few push-ups and sit-ups in my hotel room before taking a shower, but that's not enough. I'll have to figure something out.