I'm trying to find a way to upload the two dozen pictures I've taken so far but it's not proving to be an easy task. Some of the highlights include the Seoul airport, my trek around Singapore with two other Canadians whom I met on the plane (both were from Winnipeg but they were still nice people...), my walk through Rama Park, my crazy ride on the CMG (Baby-taxi) to Gulshan and today's rickshaw expedition with a colleague from the office to New Market, the city's largest bazaar. He helped me buy two short-sleeved collared shirts for 350 taka (about $8 in total). Unfortunately, however, I had a run-in with some barbed wire on the way home as we walked by Dhaka University. It's only a minor cut stretching from my left ear to my eyebrow and treated it with some disinfectant soap and polysporin. Everything should be fine...and I took a picture of it as well, for your viewing pleasure.
In response to Nevena's comment - yes, I can indeed hear the prayers. Not only in the morning, but five times each day. The local mosque is just around the corner from our office, meaning the first one in the morning has woken me up from my slumber once already. It was quite a feeling to hear it for the first time. Our office is mostly on the 9th floor and I heard the prayer emanating from the loudspeakers as clearly as one would standing right next to it. That, combined with the view over the city and its many palm trees and delapedated buildings was the first experience that give me a 'We're not in Kansas anymore" slap in the face.
I'm using the hotel's computer and there has already been one blackout in the last hour so I'll post this while I still can. Goodnight, all.
Oh...the food here is very oily. Very oily indeed...but still quite tasty.
In response to Nevena's comment - yes, I can indeed hear the prayers. Not only in the morning, but five times each day. The local mosque is just around the corner from our office, meaning the first one in the morning has woken me up from my slumber once already. It was quite a feeling to hear it for the first time. Our office is mostly on the 9th floor and I heard the prayer emanating from the loudspeakers as clearly as one would standing right next to it. That, combined with the view over the city and its many palm trees and delapedated buildings was the first experience that give me a 'We're not in Kansas anymore" slap in the face.
I'm using the hotel's computer and there has already been one blackout in the last hour so I'll post this while I still can. Goodnight, all.
Oh...the food here is very oily. Very oily indeed...but still quite tasty.
<< Home