Monday, June 14, 2004

Arrivaderci, LSAT

Note: the following two paragraphs were written less than an hour after the test

The LSAT is now behind me. What should I think? Well, it's hard to think at this moment; everything is fuzzy. Since I had two logic games sections I'm pretty sure that one of them was the experimental section, which is good. They're the toughest of the four sections, and an added benefit for this test was that they were both composed of only 22 questions as opposed to the usual 25 or 26. For some reason I ran out of time on the last reading comp - very strange - so had to guess the last three questions. Oh well, that shouldn't make too big a difference. I figure any score higher than 160 is worth keeping - I can always rely on my writing sample and extra-curriculars to get me in if I decide to apply to a law school. Apparently UVic is big on the extra currics, so that institution is looking better and better all the time.

Given the degree of concentration required for over three straigh hours, it's pretty safe to say this is one of the most draining tests I've written. On July 6th I'll be able to say whether or not the past month and a half of prep (albeit spotty at times) was worthwhile. We shall see, we shall see.

Note: It's now more than six hours after the test. In the meantime I've been to Schwartz's for a celebratory (yet solo) smoked meat sandwich and cherry coke. Being my adventurous self, I went for the coleslaw side rather than the pickle, but I never should have bothered; pickle all the way. I ran into Max (from IRSAM) while eating my sandwich at the bar, and ended up talking to an eccentric looking old man from Ottawa who opened the conversation with "torture - growing industry" after overhearing me telling Max what kind of research I'd be doing in Bangladesh. He then asked all sorts of questions about the general sentiment around McGill towards US foreign policy, how university aged kids feel about Abu Graib, etc etc. I wasn't quite sure where the conversation was leading so I finished up the slaw and bid him adieu. I also noticed that the smoked meat sandwiches seemed to be smaller than the last time I had one, almost two years ago. Either that or I just got bigger. Meh.

The coleslaw instead of the pickle was not the only ill-advised decision I made in this evening's post-LSAT haze; I rented Beyond Borders, Angelina Jolie's relatively recent 'action/humanitarian' movie about the dangerous nature of relief work in war zones. While she's more than suited for Tomb Raider, a semi-dramatic movie such as this can't rely on dramatic close ups of her face. Instead of being the ultimate super hero, she's instead a clumsy upper class Londoner trying to track down the love of her life, from Ethiopia during the famine of the early eighties to Cambodia of the late 80s and Chechnya of the mid 90s. She's the female version of a love-struck, humanitarian James Bond on clumsy pills.

Now that the LSAT is over and done with, the next month and a half will be devoted to preparations for six and a half months in Bangladesha...and rowing. This will entail teaching myself Bengali (it can't be that hard...), getting all kinds of shots (starting tomorrow), and making all the necessary travel arrangements.

The leadership debate in French has come to a close. Third mistake of the evening: watching Beyond Borders instead of the debate. Hopefully I'll be able to catch the Egnlish version tomorrow evening.

As unbelievable as it may sound, Schwartz's has left me feeling rather pekish. Off to scrounge for anything that may pass for food in my fridge.